Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Graduation... Good? Yes? No? IDK!

Kyle Hoedl just spoke to my Professional Presentation Skills class on ow to use social media to market yourself to potential employers. While he provided some great information, he stressed me out! I know that internships are great, and I know that they provide real world experience, which is what employers are looking for. I get it. But what about those of us that have actually worked to put ourselves through school? I haven't had an internship, but I do have 3 years of hard work in the real world. Where does that put me in the job search? It is so disheartening to hear that not only do you have to have an internship to get a job, but now you have to have an internship to get an internship! How do you start any more? Well I'm starting by working hard in school and at my job. I am applying for several Marketing positions within Verizon so wish me luck! They are both great opportunities. I am qualified for both, and I know the industry well. I'm looking forward to a response.

As for the rest of my day, I have another campaigns meeting. I filled in for Bre today and met with the Planning Directors today to compile research into our Fact Books. That was fun to see what the other functional groups are doing. We have a lot of research. I am excited about our final product. Tonight I am meeting with the Pink Team for the first time. We're meeting at my place so I have to run and get some juice/pop/cookies so I can be a good hostess. I am excited to start working as a team.

This semester is lots of work but so much fun at the same time. I know I am getting prepared for the real world, and that's why I am enjoying it! I also encourage everyone to get a Twitter. I love social media.

2 comments:

  1. It is a tough economy with a tough market, but I have every bit of confidence that you will find something, whether it be an internship or a job post-graduation. You are an intelligent qualified candidate for any marketing position and i have no doubt that you'll land one! The fact that you've worked to put yourself through school says a lot, sell that about yourself!

    I am glad campaigns is going well. The start of team time is the best part of the semester. The more you work with your color team, the more you will become friends and enjoy the semester. It will be tough, yes, but very rewarding in the end!

    Love you, miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you and feel you. It's not only tough, it's frustrating looking for a job, finding a job and getting a job. Internships are great things to have on your resume, but it's not everything. You have to remember that your resume is the first thing that is looked at, but it won't be the last. An interview whether over the phone or in person will give you an opportunity to show them who you are and why. You know the things you know from classes, projects and real-world experience. Don't stress over not having an internship. Just keep applying and applying and applying until you hear something. I hope your campaign is a fabulous experience. After all, that class is like an internship of its own.

    ReplyDelete